Crazy Hackathon 2017

Those 2 days totally passed like crazy. Almost everybody in our group was 4 Redbull down. Each one of us has struggled hard to keep their eyes open.We were at Microsoft campus for a day-night Hackathon organized by Angel Hack.

I came to this hackathon (AngelHack 2017) with an empty mind but a zeal to learn something useful. I met with a couple of people during the start of Hackathon. Soon I met 2 young energetic students who were having a bucket full of electronic gadgets. Taking to them I got inspired by their idea and prototype of the product. I joined their team and we started to brainstorm few ideas regarding IOT application in our daily lives. We soon stumbled upon the most feasible idea and started to lay down hardware and software requirements.

Around 12-noon organizer of the hackathons kicked off with the starting bell. In between the event, there were some talks regarding free goodies and sponsors held. One guy who was experienced with Ionic apps joined our team. Now we were 2 web dev, 2 hardware techie, and 1 mobile spec which were marks of a very strong team.

After 6 hours of hustle and bustle, we were having something to show. It was 3 AM in the morning and all form of caffeine available was finished. But we wanted some more energy and time to finish our project. Our web application part was still unfinished. I was doing backend and was facing a lot of challenges in the same. After half n hour of confusion and headache, I decided to give up.
I discussed with my team members to go for plan B. To everyone surprise, they started me back just to let me know there is no plan B. Then we decided we will use the old API backend which 2 of our teams created as part of their college project. Uniomasly, we made a decision to check that code in morning after having breakfast. We needed at least 4 hours of a nap.

Around 8, I woke everyone up in the morning. Everyone took some time for doing their morning chores. Soon we had breakfast and were ready to kick off final pieces of the project. We compiled the code and used whatever was available at the short moment. In a snap, 3 hours passed like a click of a button. It was 12'O clock and the time was over. We registered our team on hackathon portal and submitted our project.

Here is a snap of our team with the project we half developed at the hackathon. We developed a hand gesture based device which could be used by mute people. The device allows a person to decode certain forms of sign language in form of sound, which could be heard on a mobile device.




Now it was time for presentations. There were around 60+ registered teams at the venue. 4 groups were created for the 1st round of presentation. Somehow our team was the first one who will showcase the idea at the hackathon. We successfully gave our first presentation and judges were quite impressed with our idea. On the same day, I was going home also. My flight was at 7.30 pm so I left the venue after wishing my best wishes to the team. I was having a gut feeling that we will come at least at the third position.

At 5.30 pm, I was at home to pick my luggage. It took me 1 hour to reach the airport. After reaching airport I called one of my teammates, to know the status of the result. He told me slowly and steady we managed to clear all rounds. And winners are yet to be announced. My flight left Hyderabad at 7.30 and I arrived Delhi at 9.30 PM.

As soon my mobile got some network. It flashed up with 3 missed call alerts. Without wasting any time I called one of my teammates. There was a lot of sound on the other side and I was not able to hear him. Soon a message popped up, we won the competition in the social category. I jumped out in excitement. I was happy that our 1 night out created a bright day for us.

Special thanks to our 2 teammates Anupam and Rana who thought of showcasing this idea. All the best guys. After an hour I called up again and congratulated everyone for bringing this glorious victory.

Comments